Lady Luck Speaks

Desi dating and desires from the doctor of delight.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I'm so tired of being alone...

So I ditched revision and started procreastinating this weekend. Fittingly, (and thankfully), I might add, I didn't have to go too far for inspiration. I've had the fantastic Samuel Shem, teaching me about the 'House of God' and the unusually-active blogosphere to keep me occupied.

Come to think of it, I've actually got Margaret Hodge to thank for the turnaround for this lady has single-handedly got the left-wing blogosphere up in arms this week! In an attempt to appear 'in-touch' with her constituents (whom she allegedly chooses not to visit, preferring the sunnier climes of Islington), she observed that 'eight out of ten houses canvassed in Barking had considered voting for the BNP' in the upcoming local/European elections.

Cue the furore in the Times, AIM and the Indy - all of which and none of which can be witnessed here, sans the usual discussion of Iraq and Israel. Immortal Radical has examined the 'why' in the most comprehensive manner, putting demographics into the equation, ahead of racism and deprivation. I'm agreed it's a combination of the three factors, in addition to the complacence shown by Labour towards it's traditional support-base.

Sunny boy has also got me busy on the sociological front - Gautam Malkarni, author of 'Londonistani', has written an interesting piece on the masculinasation of British Asian men. Props to making the FT funky - since when has Bombay Bronx ever had a foothold in there? Perhaps this guy is going to get a look-in soon - MIA isn't the only one to get the Lankan talent genes!

10 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the masculinasation of Asian Women, haven't you ever thought of a career in the media rather than the staid old Asian favourite that you currently pursue...boring

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why indeed talk about the change when you can be that very change....

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger S said...

For sure anon - it's definitely crossed my mind more than a couple of times. Need to strengthen the old writing portfolio first ;)

'Masculinisation of Asian Women' - hmm...emacipation has done this to all groups of women. Why should Asians be left out?

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When your skills are sufficiently polished - Then check out :
http://www.skillset.org/careers/

http://www.channel4.com/4careers/4careers_new/

http://www.channel4.com/learning/microsites/W/wtc4/

http://www.ft2.org.uk/

There looks like there is profile of someone with a sri lankan sounding name on the above site. I wonder if that person can speak sinhala ?

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger S said...

Are you speaking of Krishnan Guru-Murthy?

He's South Indian Tamil so I don't think Sinhala's an option for him!

Many thanks for the links, I'll keep you posted on how I get on. I'm working on getting some academic backing for my writing first - I'd really like to do a professional qualification in it :)

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True but also check out the profiles on the Ft2 training website - Good luck with the funding for your writting and let us know on your blog how things work out.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger aj said...

I hated the House of God. Awful.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger S said...

I'm still undecided on whether I liked the House of God or not - the first 100 and last 50 pages were competent enough. The rest was a little raw in places.

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous savi3 said...

krishnan GM is a twat !

he seems to get fatter everytime he reads the news and he shouldnt be allowed to talk about Herceptin cos he thinks you can compare the issues surrounding Herceptin to the prescription of Aspirin on the NHS !! WHAT AN IDIOT !!!!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Dutch said...

Hello,
“Spirit of the Place” is definitely a great read.
It’s considered Mr. Shem’s most ambitious work.
Anyone interested should visit http://www.samuelshem.com for more information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home