Lady Luck Speaks

Desi dating and desires from the doctor of delight.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Black Books

Today's ranting is directed at results day.

Why, oh why do I have to wet my pants for an entire week beforehand?

I'm *really* scared I've failed path - which is horrible because it's a final + the MTAS people, i.e. those who allocate our jobs in October, will know I've resat and move me further down the year rankings (shame because my results this year have been pretty good!).

So yes, come 4pm today, I will know whether my summer will be spent in a library.

Hopefully not, mind! I'm going to Gardening Club/wherever my mates go tonight regardless of pass/fail!

'til then, I have the following set up to distract me; an interview with Dave A for his thesis on Sri Lankan Sinhalese in the UK plus a dentists appointment to remove this ridiculous tea-staining off my teeth. The jaw problem has been coming and going + I can't seem to fit into many of my previously-loose clothes.

Hence the uptake of a massive diet; mainly fish + vegetarian mind - with bits of chicken and sausages once a week. I especially like these they're 90% pork with the crispiest skins ever! Wilfred, the farmer, is an absolute legend; I'm totally inspired by his wish to make the rural life accessible to urban ethnic minorities. Certainly a pleasure to watch during the last few weekends.

The typifying factor was the reaction of boys without male role models to Wilfred. Their struggle with male authority was especially fascinating to watch. Given that 50% of Afro-Caribbean children live in single-parent households, it's unsurprising that the breakdown of the family has been a key part in the continuing cycle of poverty-deprivation-crime. There's a fantastic article in the Sunday Times archive that the Londoners on here have GOT to see - it's set on a Ladbroke Grove estate and details the Kidulthood-type circumstances many children grow up in - it's sad to see that things are heading this way.

So what else have I been upto?

1. Parties - I've been to four. They were fab.
2. Shopping - I've bought a polka dot skirt from Next & some lush goodies.

3. Getting pierced - Cold Steel's the best place to do that; after all, it's the only APP-certified place in the land :)

4. Listening to this piece of well-trampled rhetoric at the Fabian Society. Sadiq Khan MP didn't do himself any favours by using sports teams + the Tebbit test as a yardstick for identity. As Humeyra Khan noted, it's far more complex than that - most people don't even like football!

5. Hanging out at The Glass Bar, one of London's few members-only bars for women & their male guests. Definitely worth a visit next time you're hanging tough on Euston concourse ;)

6. Watching DVD's - 'Mean Girls', 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'XXX'

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous childof25 said...

Garden club in Covent garden right? Man..that is an awesome club, there's this huge female bouncer there who is bloody hilarious...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger S said...

The very same club! We didn't go there in the end as I lamed out and went out for a Chinese with mum, dad, bro, sis and cousin instead.

Going out to K-Bar tonight (Chelsea)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home