Lady Luck Speaks

Desi dating and desires from the doctor of delight.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

FoodSchmood.

I think that's the attitude I should be taking to edible items, given that I have an exam in precisely twenty four days.

Twenty four days means ten days of medicine, five days of surgery, two days of orthopaedics (a section of surgery I am especially bad at, thanks to prioritising pathology revision during that placement) and seven days of revision questions.

I think it'll take three days to work through my CPT pile (go me for revising one subject early!) so the odds on me being the one person in London to fail a written paper are minimal.

Incidentally, the pass rate for clinicals is not as good - sixty five people failed across town last year. I best work hard to ensure I'm not one of them, eh?

*clears throat*

So, back to the point. I plead guilty to using my egg and dairy-free diet as a further excuse to procreastinate online. Whilst vegancooking (replete with tagged archive and product reviews) has been useful at times, I've felt the need for something a bit more pictorial to get those creative juices going. VeganLunchBox has tried it's best to amuse me this way but it's strong points are of the verbally-orientated sort, not pictorial.

Consequently, I've found myself going back to the drawing board. I've taken care to explore traditionally non-egg/dairy-dependent cuisines. Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Ethiopia, South India and Mexico have all been points of reference. I've also taken inspiration from traditionally non-vegan recipes, e.g. garlic mash and substituting them with dairy-free replacements. This has led to the creation of some aesthetically pleasing stuff as the food blogs I've been watching closely are of the generic variety, catering to the discerning mainstream eater. My favoured blogs are the warm, funny and immediate ones, where much of the entertainment centres upon the personal lives of the foodies involved. I highly recommend checking out 'Living to Eat', Can Cook Must Cook, Aidan Brooks: Trainee Chef and the charming Cook Sister as a perfectly pleasant way to spent a foodie afternoon.

Tschuss!

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

I have quite a few vegan recipes on our website, http://www.godairyfree.org, some with pictures. However, if you are really looking for some good imagery, I recommend Fat Free Vegan (http://www.fatfreevegan.com/) and Bittersweet Blog (http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/). I hope that helps!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks for the generous mention and lovely compliment! Glad you like the window my blog opens onto my slightly chaotic, very itinerant but always tasty life. Look forward to entertaining you for a long time to come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home