Lady Luck Speaks

Desi dating and desires from the doctor of delight.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Nobel Laureate, eh? Pleased to meet you!

I went to Preston on Tuesday. Absolute cack. People very friendly, but not so much to do.

I didn't do brilliantly at my interview either - the more I think about it, the worse I feel. I'm SO pleased I took the evening off for a sweet recovery.

And dearie me, they don't come much sweeter than this: insight into the selection process behind one of the greatest prizes the intellectual world has to offer. 'How to be a Nobel Laureate' was a resounding success - Sir Tim Hunt spoke very well and remained unafraid to question the selectors present without making them feel uncomfortable. The Science Ed of the Telegraph chaired the whole show, with pepperings of irreverence from Daniel Glaser (BBC Science bod) and Professor Hewish.

Schmoozing with the above bods was muchos fun. I never thought Imperial's Rector knew how to 'hi-five' and street handshake! Ditto the fact that the BBC will be doing a documentary on him. Unlike most IC students, I actually like the Rector despite his plans to turn IC into a university that I wouldn't feel comfortable attending.

The evening was rounded off with a spot of dinner at a Gentleman's club. Not the Stringfellows-type, mind - the one I went to was more genteel - the meal requests are written by diners (in pencil) and various national awards, belonging to Stephen Fry and Anthony Hopkins, amongst others line the cupboards in quiet triumph.

All in all, a rather fab evening. Exactly what you need when the morning gets your goat!

1 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger periergia said...

Hey Genie, so what was the interview for? And when do you find out? Best of luck whatever it is. Btw, how did you find exams - I'm traumatised, just cannot get back to work! Take care, E x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home